Saturday, January 17, 2009

Here We Go

Inauguration weekend is finally here.  Everyone who lives here in DC has been scared to death to see what will happen when 1-3 million people come to town.  Last night didn't seem too crowded, but it was soo cold out;  I expect most everyone to be here by tomorrow morning for Sunday afternoon's free concert at the Lincoln Memorial featuring Beyonce, Bruce Springstein, and Garth Brooks (to name a few...).  
I'll be sleeping in my own bed instead of my car since we never ended up renting out our apartment.  I posted an ad once on Craigslist after the New Year but didn't receive any inquires.  I was a little surprised until I read this article in the Washington Post and discovered that lots of people in the city have the same experience.  The demand for housing here in DC essentially crashed about a week after the election, probably due to all the warnings about how bad it was going to be when people got here.  In my opinion not renting our place is a win-win situation.  With what some are calling 'crush level crowds', packed metros, and temperatures barely at 30, it will be great to be able to walk a few blocks back to our place for our own bathroom and a warm couch in front of the TV.  Reporters say that anyone who wants to see the ceremony should probably be on their way at about sunrise.  Since the bars are open until 5 AM this week, maybe that plan will work out perfectly.  
So yes, I'm fortunate to be a D.C. resident during this important event, but I'm not sure how crazy I'll feel to venture deep into the madness.  I'll do my best to take and post some photos of what I do experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!! We are waiting for your posts. By the way I wrote about my impressions from watching the event on streaming web (on my blog).

    ReplyDelete