Tuesday, January 13, 2009

il a ete un bon week-end!

It was a good weekend!  Nothing spectacular, but in case anyone is interested in hearing how yours truly passes a 'normal' weekend in D.C. here we go...
Friday was my day off.  It felt great having a short 4-day week after the long holiday period.  We're given the option to work a 9-80 schedule, meaning nine hour days and one day off every other week.  Given that everyone in the office is on 9-80 and I would probably work a 9-hour day regardless, this is a great perk to my job.  
Despite the fact that it was my day off, I still had to go to a meeting for coffee at 8:30 with my boss and the head of a big organization in DC that we work with.  The meeting was at Starbucks in Capitol Hill so I didn't mind the motivation to get myself up early and make the most of my day.  I was hit with feelings of nostalgia as I packed my bag in the morning, ready to head to the coffee shop.  Snacks... laptop... gym clothes... current book I'm reading... check! It was just like grad school!  It was only five months ago that I would set out the same way - no particular agenda, just a long and varied to-do list and hopes to get most of it done.  I can't say I was all that productive, but I was pretty good for a Friday off.  
Friday night was incredibly fun as we ended up back at the Ghana Cafe in Adams Morgan.  The Ghana Cafe is a small bar/danceclub that plays west african and american hiphop music (alternatively... every 20 minutes or so) in the upstairs bar.  The walls are covered in mirrors just as they are (apparently) in Africa.  Everyone is friendly and dances the entire time and it's just a lot of fun.  After dancing pretty much nonstop from 10 until 2 I literally almost couldn't walk.  It's a good thing we took the cab ride home!
Saturday was supposed to be cool and wet so my plans were to hibernate pretty much all day, which was fine until I realized we could venture down to the gym to use the sauna and steam room.  I really like everything about the gym I joined but I absolutely LOVE the steam room.  I've used hot dry saunas before but never these that surround you in warm wonderful mist.  It's perfect after a tough workout but just as perfect on any random day you want to feel like taking a trip to the spa ;)  Then on Saturday night I made a ham and bean soup in the crock-pot and we all hung out at the house and played our favorite games: Apples to Apples and Catchphrase.  I still can't beat my roommates yet at A-to-A but at least I'm catching onto their humor enough to keep up. 
Sunday was... long.  We got up early to say goodbye to LA's friend and ate an awesome breakfast that she cooked for us.  LA wanted to try something different with spaghetti squash and I had no ideas so we ended up using them to make fritters, which were more like pancakes but so delicious.  For his birthday, Dennis got a growler of dark beer by Dogfish Head but it went bad and he needed a way to use it, so I suggested cooking with it and remembered a recipe for Emeril's chili that calls for dark beer and dark chocolate.  Who could argue with ingredients like that?  I've had this chili before but never made it myself, so this became my project for the day and it turned out great!  I used a combo of turkey and ground beef... the beer makes it slightly sweet and you can taste just a hint of the chocolate... so I think it's a keeper.  Let me know if you want the recipe.    We finished off the weekened with an awesome win by the Steelers and that's about it.  Ive got my house into Season 2 of Dexter, which I've seen before but it's fun been fun to watch with friends, although I find myself thinking of blood and duct tape just a little too often and in a whole different way.  Hmm, could this be the cause of my nightmares?!

No comments:

Post a Comment