Monday, July 6, 2009

A little here and there

I haven't been keeping up with my blog lately and I wonder if anyone even still reads this?  I'm always pleasantly surprised when I talk to people who comment that they like reading my posts.  But then again, no matter what the topic I always enjoy little regular updates on my friends' blogs.  When I moved to DC I started writing here for two reasons: to capture my new experiences in the city and to keep my friends and family updated on what I was up to... without having to call/email/text/write/facebook/visit each of them as much as I would like to be able to.  I've never really considered myself a writer but for the most part I do enjoy the process and coming back and reading over my journals after months or years have gone by.  And now that I think about it, the two original reasons I had to blog still hold true today.  I may be approaching the year mark in this city but there is so much I want to do and see.  I have recently started a new approach where I commit to doing one thing each week that I've never done before.   In such a big city this certainly isn't going to be that hard, but at least it's a fun way to challenge myself to think of new ideas and get out and try new things.  For example, last week I went and finally swam laps at the free community pool.  It's clean and right in my neighborhood!   It reminded me that swimming is a great way for me to clear my head and get exercise in some way besides running and cycling.  I'm happy I finally went and definitely want to go back more often!

I'm sure I'll reflect on this more over the next few months, but speaking of the one year mark, this year has been a huge adjustment time for me.  Without the independence I enjoyed in grad school, it's been hard to fit everything into my day and regain a sense of balance and control in my life.  I'm working on it... but I'm not quite there yet.  I'm working on accepting the fact that I can't have the structure to my life that I used to enjoy.   My free time outside of work is drastically reduced, and travel, friends, fun, exercise, family, surprises... they all need to make up a part of the rest of that time in a ratio I'm comfortable with.

Hmm.. I'll stop with the seriousness for the day.  I meant for this to be an update post but I'll just save that for later.  I will leave you with a picture from this past weekend's wedding festivities of me and my siblings.  


  


No comments:

Post a Comment