Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I have arrived

I moved into my apartment today!  I live near the Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area - and I love it!! It is everything that I had hoped moving to a city would be.  My neighborhood is made up of a bunch of row houses right off of Pennsylvania Avenue.  I have three roommates and they seem great so far.  The house now has two girls and two boys - a nice balance.  They others have all been friends for awhile, so I'm hoping I fit in and we can maintain the friendly, relaxed vibe that they've had going for the past year.  

Before moving in I took a bunch of pictures of the place, which you can look at if you want.  I'll post some updated ones after I've moved in and settled into my room.  Moving makes me realize how much "stuff" I've accumulated over the years... and it doesn't make me feel good.  I'd like to try to get by on a little less from now on, but we'll see how that goes.  It never seems to register when you are buying one thing at a time, that I'm sure I "need", but after moving it out of Penn State, into storage, out of storage, and up the stairs into my apartment - I realize it!  

I don't have a parking pass so I need to move my car every two hours during the day, so I'm staying close to home.  Our internet is down so I happily walked 3 blocks to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts, assuming I'd get free wireless, but this was not the case.  I forked up ten dollars for a day pass, assuming that I'd need to take care of a bunch of business online (car insurance, etc).  After re-moving (?) my car, I decided to explore the neighborhood some more, and one block down I found the public library!!!  I was assuming I'd have to walk up the big steps to the Library of Congress (where you can't even check out books) to enjoy the library, but I found the small neighborhood branch of the public library right near my apartment.  I discovered my love for public libraries while living in State College, but far too late in my educational career to enjoy it to the fullest.  Not only does the library have free books, big flat tables, and bright sunny windows, they have FREE wireless internet.  And I don't even have to spend $2 on a coffee for the privilege of using it.  Life is good.  

1 comment:

  1. when you talk about all this stuff that you've accumulated, i assume you are referring to all the stuff you stole from me when i moved out? ;) jk.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete