Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Thousands have lived without love, no man without water"

Saw the movie FLOW (For Love Of Water) this past weekend at the E Street Cinema.  FLOW is a documentary on many of the serious water issues our world is facing today.  I know that water is a serious issue, but I feel that, unfortunately, it's very hard for the average American to grasp the level of seriousness of the problems we're facing, and the consequences that water quality issues and water shortages can bring.  Similar to climate change: how can the human mind grasp such a huge problem?

Unfortunately, I don't think the movie helped matters.  I was slightly disappointed in their approach; either show more issues in an organized and strategic fashion (instead of skipping around from country to country), or focus on one serious issue that can be explored and learned about so that people can be informed on what they can do.  To me, the movie left you with a helpless, slightly confused feeling.  If you want the spoiler, the final request of the film was for viewers to support a new article to the UN on water (explained below).

However, one pretty amazing thing about seeing the movie was the panel Q&A that was held after the film with 4 professionals who are active community members in the pursuit of accessible, clean, and affordable drinking water in the Washington DC area.  It's not that the discussion was mind-blowing, it's just that I am used to academic audience and now everyone asks about policy.  Having these opportunities makes me happy to be in the city.  I don't know how politically active I'll become, but I do want to learn something while I'm here.  We haven't gotten too deep into policy with my job at work yet, so for now it's fun.  

So, I'll do my part: If you believe and want to support Article 31, which states that "everyone has the right to clean and accessible drinking water, adequate for the health and well-being of the person and family, and no one shall be deprived of such access or quality of water due to individual economic cicumstance" you can sign the United Nations petition here: Sign Article 31

No comments:

Post a Comment